Whether you are pre-workout, post-workout, fighting the early onset of a back-to-school cold or are simply looking for a super healthy and naturally energizing breakfast or lunch, the Power Greens Voke Shake delivers.
Ingredients (makes 2-3 servings):
- A couple handfuls of your favorite fresh, leafy greens. I prefer spinach, kale and swiss chard. (Hint: If the local Farmer’s Market is out of season, Costco carries an awesome Power Greens blend that is pre-washed and super easy).
- 2 or 3 carrots (alternating with ¾ cup 100% Organic Carrot Juice works great too)
- Whole banana, peeled
- 1 or 2 Voke Tabs for an extra natural energy boost (I typically put in one Voke Tab for each person sharing the shake … If it’s just me, 1 tab, me and my friend, 2 tabs, and so on). Just drop the Voke Tabs in the blender along with the other ingredients.
- 1 TBS of Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup orange juice (I like Simply Orange or other fresh squeezed options)
- ½ cup ice
- Optional: a cubed size piece of peeled, whole, organic ginger root (great for staying healthy, good digestion and adding a ‘spicy’ zing to the shake)
- Optional: any other healthy additions you think would taste great. I commonly included apple slices, grapes, peeled oranges, peeled beets, broccoli and even peeled garlic cloves if I’m fighting the onset of a cold.
I like the Vitamix blender for the job to fully purify the more coarse ingredients (kale, broccoli, peeled beets, apples, whole ginger, garlic cloves, etc) and recommend that you run the blender progressively higher until you are at the highest setting and leave it there for approximately 30 seconds. Note that the fresher and better tasting your greens and other vegies are, the better the V-Shake will taste and the more nutrients it will deliver! And remember, blenders are designed for you to customize based on what your garden or local source of produce is providing, so no two shakes need to be the same!
From the kitchen of Karin Mittelstaedt